Tuesday, January 15, 2008

What would you do, if you did’nt have to ask permission to do it?

Freedom. One of our nations greatest civil liberties and yet we find ourselves bound to the reenactment of daily existence. We wake up we rush to work, we complain about traffic, we rush home we complain about traffic again. We fall asleep in front of the tv, and we wake up to do it all again. Don’t get me wrong I know we need our jobs, but somewhere in our minds we have put our dreams on hold and moved from living to existing.

I was raised in a very traditional religious church, where you could do nothing without someone’s permission. We were told what we could not do, not what we could do. Don’t wear that, don’t do that, don’t go there. After we danced on Sunday’s celebrating our freedom from sin, we were then instructed on a different bondage. This teaching crippled me in ways that I did not realize. As an adult I found myself very insecure, second guessing my every decision. Just the other day I was contemplating some decisions that would impact my life greatly, consequently catapulting me to another level. I was wrestling in my mind about what would this one think, and if it would be ok with that one. I had come up with so many scenarios that I had just about talk myself out of what I wanted to do. At that moment the Lord spoke to me and said, What would you do if you didn’t have to ask someone’s permission to do it?” I sat quietly and He said it again, What would you do if you didn’t have to ask someone’s permission to do it?” “Well Lord , I would…. and I would….” It took me a minute to actually come up with something because He had instantaneously taken away all my excuses. At that very moment I was free to dream and not only dream, but God himself had given me permission to do whatever I wanted. He had assured me that it was ok with Him and no one else mattered. He knew what was best for me, and He had plans for me, plans to prosper me and to bring me to my expected end. Jeremiah 29:11

In the 21st century church, we are taught to live your best life now, to go get your inheritance and to pray for increase. In lieu of this teaching some of us are still waiting for permission and the perfect time to actually do something. I’ll do it after college, or after I get married, no after the children get older or I need more money and ultimately, it’s to late for me to do it now! Stop. Take a deep breath. Close your eyes. exhale. now ask yourself what would you do if you didn’t have to get anyone’s permission, including your own? now open your eyes and go do it. God has said you can.

No comments: